Safe Water Drinking Act (SDWA)
The Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) is the main federal law that ensures the quality of Americans’ drinking (potable) water and is administered by the EPA.
The Safe Drinking Water Act, passed in 1974, is a federal law enacted to ensure that safe drinking water conditions for all Americans are being maintained. It is regulated by the EPA which sets the standards for SDWA. More specific information about this legislation may be found on http://www.epa.gov/safewater/sdwa/index.html.
Changes to SDWA and “Lead Free” Legislation
Since red Brass Pipe (85% copper / 15% zinc) does not contain lead, our Brass and Chrome-Plated Brass Nipples and mill lengths of Brass Pipe are able to meet the metal content requirements.
- Merit has earned certification to NSF/ANSI 61, Annex G so our customers are able to demonstrate compliance when required.
- All of Merit’s Brass, Chrome Nipples and Pipe will maintain compliance to NSF/ANSI 61 – meaning they will be in complete accord with any and all applicable specifications.
- Merit Brass has also certified our “MB Brand” 150LB Cast Stainless Steel Fittings and Domestic Stainless Steel Nipples under NSF’s Lead Content Certification Program.
Many applications for threaded Brass Fittings will remain “leaded” and will not be subject to the new lead reduction requirements
- Bill S. 3874 exempts “pipes or pipe or plumbing fittings or fixtures, including backflow preventers, that are used exclusively for nonpotable services such as manufacturing, industrial processing, irrigation, outdoor watering, or any other uses where the water is not anticipated to be used for human consumption;”
- Merit will maintain complete inventories of domestic and import “leaded” threaded Brass Fittings for use in nonpotable water applications
- The current premium for “lead-free” threaded Brass Fittings versus leaded Brass Fittings is approximately 30-35%
All accredited Merit Brass vendors for “lead free” threaded Brass Fittings (domestic and import) will meet the requirements contained in Annex G of the standard and be in complete conformance with NSF/ANSI 61.
- This will eliminate the need for Merit and our distributors to maintain duplicate inventories of “lead free” Brass Fittings as all Merit fittings will be in complete compliance with all lead-free specifications.